On December 8, 2022, the much-anticipated second edition of the mmode gala – an annual ceremony celebrating the next generation representing Quebec’s fashion industry and its achievements – hosted this year by the always bubbly and stylish Kathy Marquis, took place at the Society for Arts and Technology (SAT) in downtown Montreal.
mmode – the Metropolitan Fashion Cluster – and key players from the fashion world awarded 11 grants worth a total of $105,000 each, along with trophies in the form of Distinction Awards, to up-and-coming Quebec fashion entrepreneurs and creators.
During this red-carpet event, executives from various major fashion brands paid tribute to the exceptional talent and creativity of the numerous finalists, such as Natalia Baquero and Guillaum Chaigne; as well as the leadership of a key builder within the industry – Elliot Lifson, vice-chairman of Peerless Clothing and member of mmode’s board of trustees.
As Mathieu St-Arnaud Lavoie, executive director of mmode, was happy to tell us:
“This event aims to support and propel the rising stars of the sector. Thanks to the support of industry members and private sector partners, eleven grants were awarded this evening to creators and emerging entrepreneurs. I would like to thank them for their great generosity and their support. A special thank you also to the selection committee which analyzed all the application files, submitted by more than 90 organizations to determine the grand recipients of the Distinction Awards. My sincere congratulations to all the finalists and winners!”
$105,000 in grants to emerging stars of Quebec fashion
These entrepreneurs and creators each received a grant in recognition of their excellence and their talent, as well as a Distinction Award, in the following categories:
• Diversity and Social Inclusion: Mahrzad Lari – WIDE THE BRAND
• Female Entrepreneur: Marie-Josianne Séguin – SEGSEA BEACHWEAR
• Circular Economy: Annette Nguyen – LE PETIT SHWAP CLUB
• U.S Market Reach: Markantoine Lynch-Boisvert – MRKNTN
• Fur and Leather: Corinne Bourget and Niki Jessup – ATELIER HOTEL MOTEL
• In Growth Mode: Antoine Bolduc – ATYPIC
• In Growth Mode: Danielle Déry and Gabriel Gosselin – PERLIMPINPIN
• LaSalle College Michèle Boulanger-Bussière Student Excellence: Léa Deschamps
• Chair’s Choice: Ysaline Lannes – 1ER MAI
• Public’s Choice: Nicolas Bilodeau – NICO
• Jury’s Choice: Alexandre Desabrais and Samuel Leroux – SOLIOS WATCHES
• Tribute to a Great Builder: Elliot Lifson – PEERLESS CLOTHING
Here is what you need to know about mmode
mmode — the Metropolitan Fashion Cluster — was created in May 2015. Its mission is to bring together and unite the various players in Quebec’s fashion industry, including its four main pillars: designers, manufacturers, wholesalers-distributors and retailers. mmode’s mandate is also to create business and innovation synergies, to act as a unique collaboration and exchange platform, and so to contribute to improving the competitiveness and growth of Quebec’s and metropolitan Montreal region’s fashion industry. In November 2016, mmode launched the hashtag #mtlstyle as the rallying cry of the Montreal fashion industry.
What's Your Reaction?
From fine dining restaurants to boutique hotel staycations to high society balls, V is a lifestyle writer who unlocks some of Montreal's best-kept secrets.