Did you know that January 21st is National Hug Day? Hugs have become very trendy in recent years because of many social & health studies listing their surprising amount of benefits. I decided to research this human bonding ritual further and found 10 fun facts about hugging. Now get off your digital device and go hug someone in the real world today!
- Babies who were not hugged enough have delayed walking, talking and lower IQ than babies who were hugged a lot.
- Hugging lowers the stress hormone Cortisol and increases these 3 happy chemicals: Oxytocin, dopamine and serotonin!
- The average hug is 3 seconds long, which is the same duration as a lot of other human actions and neurological processes.
- Even though women are known to be the ones who want to cuddle after sex the most, more men in studies said that they need a daily hug from their partner.
- The hugging instinct is said to derive from the contractions one feels during childbirth, essentially the birth canal was your first big squeeze!
- The Western world hugs publicly more than the Eastern world. In some Eastern countries, public displays of kissing will get you a fine!
- People who are very “huggy” tend to fall in either category: were not hugged enough as a child OR came from a highly affectionate family.
- Hugging was a more important factor in the longevity of a couple vs even sex frequency in divorce studies. This is because you can still enjoy sex when things are bad but not hugs.
- In studies where people suffered from depression and low self-esteem, they reported a dramatic improvement during periods in their life when they were the most hugged.
- 1 years old is the average age when humans initiate hugs on their own (provided they were hugged up until that point by their family).
- Le Petit Montréal | Summer Pop-Up Space in Phillips Square
- AIM Festival 2019 | Stop imagining & go experience its 5th edition!
- MYSTIC MOTHER | Fn Vegas Solo Exhibition at Galerie le 1040
- SHAKER Kitchen & Mixology is Stirring Things Up on the Main
- Michael Madsen shares 🔥 story on latest Tarantino film | MTL ComicCon 2019