MURAL 2019 | Montreal’s Favorite Public Art Festival Returns
Back for its 7th edition, the beloved public art festival, MURAL, returns to Saint-Laurent Boulevard from June 6 to 16.
The new murals and installations created this year will be added to an already extensive tour that stretches from the Quartier des spectacles to Mile End. Therefore, this brings the permanent public legacy created by the MURAL Festival since 2013 to nearly 100 major works!
Highlights of the 2019 Edition
MURAL’s innovative 7th edition will modify two important aspects of its programming. Firstly, the festival is breaking away from its traditional creative medium, the painted wall, by supporting a greater number of creations in diverse media, such as digital platforms and original materials.
With this change, the 2019 edition will make way for major projects such as:
- A wall installation of LED light strips by Spanish artist Spider Tag, on an immense wall located at the corner of Saint-Laurent and Mont-Royal; A first in North America.
- The complete decoration of a car wash and a car by American artist Joshua Vides.
- A series of large-scale sculptures by Montréal artist Laurence Vallières.
- Digital creation workshops and interactive architectural projections with the Tagtool application.
- A trompe l’oeil art piece painted on the pavement by Dutch artist Leon Keer.
As for the muralists, the festival’s 2019 edition will bring together major Canadian artists and globally renowned international artists, including : Miss Van (FRA), Insane51 (GRE), PichiAvo (ESP), Gleo (COL), Ola Volo (CAN), Bryan Beyung (CAN), Ben Johnston (CAN), GermDee (CAN), Marc-Olivier Lamothe (CAN), Nikki Kuntzle (CAN), Waxhead (CAN) and many others.
MURAL’s second major change to the 2019 edition is the transformation of its event programming and the rearrangement of its main zone, located on Saint-Laurent between Milton and Prince-Arthur. So, the festival is opening the zone completely and offering ten evenings of free musical events, seven more than in 2018. Therefore, MURAL’s VIP zone, presented by Hennessy, will be remodelled to offer guests and ticket holders an optimal experience.
The festival’s main zone and its famous terrasse, open every day of the festival except Monday June 10, will be reconfigured to create a more intimate and comfortable ambiance.
As a result, the Grill Saint-Laurent culinary event will still be held in the main zone, but will now be open over four days, from June 11 to 14.
Here is what you need to know about MURAL 2019:
Date: Thursday, June 6 — Saturday, June 16
Location: Free access pedestrian area on Saint-Laurent Boulevard between Sherbrooke and Mont-Royal
Programming details: Available on muralfestival.com and the Facebook page @MuralFestival
Tickets for paid activities: Available online and at the MURAL festival box office from June 6 to 16, 11AM to 11PM, in front of 3556 Saint-Laurent Boulevard.
Instagram: @muralfestival | SoundCloud: muralradio | YouTube: muralfest |
P.S. Make sure not to miss Thierry Mugler: Couturissime, the must-see exhibit at the MMFA !
- Le Petit Montréal | Summer Pop-Up Space in Phillips Square
- AIM Festival 2019 | Stop imagining & go experience its 5th edition!
- MYSTIC MOTHER | Fn Vegas Solo Exhibition at Galerie le 1040
- SHAKER Kitchen & Mixology is Stirring Things Up on the Main
- Michael Madsen shares 🔥 story on latest Tarantino film | MTL ComicCon 2019