Martinique Gourmande | Food Festival Brings Creole Flavors to Montreal
The Martinique Gourmande culinary festival is back for its 11th edition!
Martinique Gourmande — the annual rendezvous for Martinican gastronomy in Quebec — just announced the program of its 11th edition, as well as the holding of its first Challenge of the Chefs and the winners of its mixology contest. From September 13 to 23, 2018, the culinary festival will take place this year in participating bars and restaurants in Montreal and Quebec City. Each establishment will highlight the colorful flavors of Martinique through different creations added to their menus.
As Karine Mousseau, President of the Martinique Tourism Committee, was happy to tell us:
It is, for Martinique, a great pleasure and an honor to receive the formidable welcome of restauranteurs and mixologists of Montreal and Quebec City for the annual Martinique Gourmande festival. With increasing air travel between Montreal and Fort-de-France, this festival is for us the occasion to intice Quebecers in discovering the multiple delicacies of Martinique, its landscapes, its culture, its great rums, its gourmet circuits, and, most of all, the warm welcome of its population.
For this edition, two special events will take place: on September 12, a prestige supper (90$ per person) at the Sofitel Montréal Golden Mile Hotel, during which Martinican chefs will cook along side famous Renoir chef, Olivier Perret, and on September 13, a 100% Martinican supper at the Restaurant Le Bleu raisin (around 45$ per person).
For the first time this year, the festival will organize a Challenge of the Chefs at the conclusion of which the winner will merit a magnificent stay in Martinique! The winner will be revealed during the evening launch party at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth Hotel on August 27.
View this post on Instagram
Concours des chefs👌 au @fairmontqueene Festival Martinique Gourmande 📷✨Lancement médiatique✨ Pour l'occasion, j'ai fait des cups plantains au lambi et macaron au saumon fumé et rhum #lesdelicesdepatrice #martiniquegourmande #concoursdechef #chef #creole #goutdescaraibes #caraibes #creole #fuzioncreole #chefcuisinier #traiteurmtl #traiteur #traiteurquebec #coocking #coock
A post shared by LesdelicesdePatrice (@lesdelicesdepatrice) on
As for the mixology context, the jury will announce the two winning cocktails that will bear the mention « Cocktail Officiel Martinique Gourmande 2018 » : First of all, the cocktail « Bois Petit », mixed by Sébastien Laframboise, of District Saint-Joseph in Quebec City, as well as the « Swaff Dlo », mixed by Antoine Vendette, of Barraca Rhumerie in Montreal.
The festival will also have the honor this year of welcoming renowned Martinican chefs, among whom :
• Daniel Labonne, executive chef of the Embassy of Germany and the Embassy of France in Washington, D.C.. Chef Labonne had the great honor of cooking for the former presidential couple, Barack and Michelle Obama.
• David Colomba, chef of the Le KoudPouss restaurant, the first socially- responsible restaurant of the island. Located in the green commune of Marigot, chef Colomba offers a savory and innovative creole cuisine, made with the finest local products.
• The Martinican brothers Jimmy and Thierry Lauzéa, owners of Maison Frères Lauzéa, which offers creations blending local flavors and know-how. They are regularly mentioned among the 20 best master chocolatiers in the world.
An initiative of the Martinique Tourism Committee in Canada started in 2008, this culinary festival of sunny flavors wants to extend the summer longer in the plates and in the hearts of Quebecers!
So here is what what you need to know about Martinique Gourmande 2018 :
Date: Thursday, September 13, 2018 – Tuesday, September 23, 2018
Location: 34 establishments in the Greater Montreal area and 10 establishments in Quebec City
P.S. For more great eats, be sure to check out Golden Montreal Restaurant Week.
Featured image credit: Lionel Chamoiseau
First photo credit: Lionel Chamoiseau
Second photo credit: Unknown
Third photo credit: Lionel Chamoiseau
Fourth photo credit: Rhum Trois Rivières
Fifth photo credit: David Giral
- The Eat-With-Your-Hands Kamayan Feast at Junior Filipino Restaurant
- Restaurant Agrikol | The Hidden Pearl of Montréal en Lumière
- EMF Radiation: Protect Yourself in a 5G Future
- Montréal en Lumière | Culinary spectacle at Rosélys
- A Taste of Winter Flavors at the SAT’s Labo culinaire Foodlab for Montréal en Lumière