Beer Battered Onion Rings | Gluten Free Goodness
Getting your fix for fried foods while still sticking to a gluten-free diet is hard… until now! Satisfy your cravings for some crispy fatty goodness with these beer-battered onion rings. All you need are a few simple ingredients and a big-ass frying pan.
- 1 large Vidalia onion
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cups Gluten Free Beer (Redbridge is great, or click here for a list of other gluten free beers)
Slice the onion into rings that are about 1/4 inch in diameter. Next, soak the slices in a mixture of milk and water for about a hour. If you are lactose intolerant, feel free to use soy milk as a substitute. While the onion slices are soaking, whisk together all of the remaining ingredients in a large bowl to make the batter. Place the bowl in the fridge until the onion slices are ready.
Once the onions are almost done soaking, start heating the canola oil in a large cast-iron skillet on medium heat. If you’re considering skimping on the oil, don’t! The onion rings require enough oil so that they they can swim around in it otherwise they won’t fry properly. Also, who are you kidding, you’re making beer-battered onion rings, now’s not the time to try to go healthy.
Completely drain the onions. Dip each ring into the batter and then gently lower each ring into the hot oil. Continue to repeat the process until your skillet is full. The cooking time will depend on the temperature of the oil, but they should be ready to flip after 3 to 4 minutes. Keep an eye on the rings, and flip them once they’ve turned a light golden colour. Cook them on the opposite side for the same amount of time.
Once the rings are done, remove each one from the oil and place them on a paper towel. Sprinkle them with a small amount of salt. Crack open a beer and enjoy the fruits, or shall I say fried fruits, of your labour.
Wanna kick up the flavour profile of this snack?
Stay tuned for the next blog installment: Creamy Wasabu Dipping Sauce!
- Le Petit Montréal | Summer Pop-Up Space in Phillips Square
- AIM Festival 2019 | Stop imagining & go experience its 5th edition!
- MYSTIC MOTHER | Fn Vegas Solo Exhibition at Galerie le 1040
- SHAKER Kitchen & Mixology is Stirring Things Up on the Main
- Michael Madsen shares 🔥 story on latest Tarantino film | MTL ComicCon 2019